Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Kyrkhult

Hilary's family is amazing. Her third cousin, Leif, and his wife, Eva, live in a small town in Kyrkhult (pronounced sher-cult), Sweden. Leif met us at the train station a little outside of Kyrkhult and drove us back to his place. This is only the fourth time we've been in a car the whole trip with this was a treat. Instantly we were greeted with hugs and wonderful aromas of a homemade Swedish meal. We spent the night eating Swedish meatballs and the most delicious gravy I've ever tasted thanks to Eva. It was a really good night of talking and getting to know them.

The next day Hilary and Leif went out to see where her ancestors migrated from and I opted to stay in and enjoy a relaxing day to myself. This consisted of a great breakfast, time on the couch reading and the longest bath of my life. I'm not usually a bath person but this was needed and was so relaxing. When Hilary and Leif got back we had dinner and desert. Now comes the best part. Eva is a trained masseuse and offered to give both Hilary and I massages after dinner. I'm not usually a huge fan of massages but this was so needed and absolutely amazing. After that we watched a movie and headed to bed. It was by far my slowest day. I think it was the first I've spent the whole day inside and I loved it.

The next morning we got up and headed on a road trip to meet another one of Hilary's relatives about 2 hours away by car. She lived in a beautiful small town on the beach. I'd compare it to an Oregon seaside town. We had lunch, visited a few of the places on the Swedish peninsula which took a few hours and then had some warm quiche and eventually around 7pm headed back to Leif and Eva's place. Once there we just watched another movie and then headed to bed again. The rest has been so nice. It sounds boring, but after 9.5 weeks of anything but boring it is welcomed.

The last day we were there was pretty much the same routine. Slept in, ate breakfast, read my book, took a long bath, had a delicious homemade Hungarian dinner and then Leif took us to the train station and we said our goodbyes.

This post was short, but I cannot express enough thanks to Leif and Eva. They were absolutely amazing and wonderful people!! Now we are on our way to Stockholm to hang out with their children for the next week. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment